I want to make Kimbap for my friends and Danmuji is a must-have ingredient. I don’t like packaged and processed foods, so I make my own Korean sweet pickled radish. One of the advantages of learning Korean is that you are able to read recipe in the language, haha! I actually got this recipe from a Korean blog. I’ve modified the recipe and translated it to English. It really tastes good. I’ll post my Kimbap recipe here later for your reference.
How to make Korean Sweet Radish Pickle (Danmuji)
2 white radish
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 bay leaves
10-20 black peppercorn
1. Wash the radish, trim ends, remove skin and cut into 1 inch long strips.
2. Mix rice vinegar and water in a pot. Ratio: 1:1.
3. Add sea salt, sugar, turmeric powder, bay leaves, black peppercorn and stir.
4. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add radish slices.
5. Cool Danmuji to room temperature.
6. Transfer it to an airtight glass container and store in refrigerator.
7. It can be eaten the next day. The color will turn darker in a few days (as shown on photo above).
If you are making it as a side dish, cut the radish into thin slices. Whereas, if you are making this as a Kimbap ingredient, cut into long strips.
Incoming search terms:
- danmuji recipe
- how to make danmuji
- korean pickled radish
- yellow radish pickle
- where to buy danmuji in singapore
- where to buy danmuji in malaysia
- where can i buy danmuji
- turmeric in korean radish
- radish korean dish recipe